Livestock Protection Officer
Karla McKechnie, our Livestock Protection Officer, is on emergency call to deal with incidents of sheep worrying, dog attacks, casualties from road traffic accidents and livestock in distress on Dartmoor.
Call assistance quickly
Any member of the public or police can help - please call assistance quickly.
Payment for initial veterinary aid for road-injured moorland livestock is guaranteed by DLPS.
Give details:It is important to give the following details, where possible.
- Type of Animal: colour, dye marks, brand letters, ear marks, special features?
- What appears to be wrong: pain, collapsed, bleeding?
- Location: clear directions are vital please give grid reference, if possible, and state whether the animal is visible from the road and whether it is mobile.
- Can you stay to guide assistance: this is very helpful
- Your name, tel no & address: this could be vital for additional directions etc
Warning - avoid handling a lamb
(often only apparently deserted) as the ewe may reject it